Saturday 10 October 2009

Harry interview by Moneywise

Moneywise interviews drummer Harry Judd, from band McFly, to find out how savvy the musician is with his cash.

Drummer Harry Judd is a member of the band McFly. The band released their first single, 'Five Colours in Her Hair', just over three years ago. It shot to number one, and was followed by six more chart-toppers. The band's first two albums also went to number one, and they've made it into The Guinness Book of Records as the youngest band to top the charts with a debut album.Mcfly are currently working on their new album and are about to go on a European tour. The band are also supporting Santander's Celebrity Master Class for 16–21 year olds who want to break into the music industry.


My spending weakness?
I won't spend anything for a while and then I'll have a burst of buying things. I've got my own place, so I like to get furniture and things to do it up.

The most I've spent on a single item...
Aside from a flat and holidays, it was probably a car – a BMW. But I drove it through some deep puddles and the water damaged the engine, so I don't have it any more.

My first job and pay packet...
I went straight from school into McFly, so the band is my first job, apart from temporary work for a company called Simply Salmon. It was a factory job, packing the orders, but it only lasted a week and I can't remember how much I was paid.

Do I own my own home?
Yes. I bought a flat about three years ago, probably not at the best time though!

Credit cards: friend or foe?
I just stick with my debit cards. I think credit cards can be a danger once you start spending on them, although obviously it depends on your situation. With debit cards, you know what you're spending – I think if I had a credit card, I'd forget what I'd spent and get into trouble.

My attitude to money...
It can be stressful managing your money. It sounds corny, but I just want to be happy, so I try not to worry too much. I'm in the fortunate position of earning a decent amount at a young age, so I try to be responsible.

Best financial lesson I've learnt...
My dad has always been really good at teaching me about money. He taught me to enjoy myself, but to feel sure that I'm in control of my finances too.

Do I organise my own finances?
As I said, my dad helps by advising me quite a bit. I like being able to ask him what he thinks, but I've always been fairly good with my money.

How I'm feeling the credit crunch...
Fortunately, I haven't felt much of a difference. I still allow myself the usual things like food and clothes but it's just about being sensible.

Stocks and shares or cash?
I've been pretty disciplined with savings accounts and individual savings accounts, and my dad is quite keen for me get into stocks and shares, so that will be next. I've already got a pension, though there's not that much in it at the moment.

No comments: